Our Ministries page to see all that is going on here at
Worship Service 10:30am
here for more information
NOTE: All of our pastor's sermons are
available at the following:
7210 Lisbon Street
San Diego, CA 92114
Phone: (619) 262-1089
Fax: (619) 262-8971
On January 3, 1897,
missionaries from the synod established
Trinity Lutheran Church here in San Diego.
Trinity members first worshipped at the
"Holt House" and at a Seventh
Day Adventist Church. In 1902 they bought
a church building at Ocean View Drive and
Dewey Street where they stayed until 1941.
They then moved into a larger church at
20th and F Street. Included was an altar
that came from Norway in 1725. This altar
still remains and is used today. It was
completely refurbished for the 100 year
Celebration in October 1997. On December
29, 1959, Trinity relocated to new facilities
at its current location of 7210 Lisbon Street.
The facility at 20th and F Street was demolished
for construction of Highway 94.
Messiah Lutheran Church and Trinity Lutheran
In 1972, as Trinity celebrated its 75th
Anniversary, a new 17 rank pipe organ was
dedicated. Over the years several buildings
have been added to the church as well as
the Messiah Memorial Hall which was dedicated
on the 10th Anniversary of the Trinity-Messiah
In August of 1948, Reverend
Kurt Brink (commissioned by the Southern
California District) began a door-to-door
Lutheran ministry in the Logan Heights area.
The congregation consisted of one little
boy that had been baptized by the Pastor
of Trinity Lutheran Church, located then
about two miles away..
began holding Sunday School services in
the 2900 block of Imperial Avenue. Teachers
were recruited from Grace Lutheran and they
offered their school bus and a driver to
pick up children on Sunday mornings. Ground
was broken on November 6, 1949. More than
one hundred volunteers from the ten LCMS
congregations in San Diego constructed the
facility at 31st and Clay Streets. Master
Carpenter Lou Perry and other craftsmen
and volunteers donated more than three thousand
hours of labor. The new church was constructed
and furnished for $15,000.
In 1994, Rev.
Gary Harms was serving both Messiah and
Trinity Lutheran churches as Interim Pastor.
With Rev. Harms help, discussions of merging
the two churches began. On September
1, 1996 a final farewell service was held
at Messiah and adjourned to the first "merged,
new" Trinity Lutheran Church worship
service on September 8, 1996.